Re: Find something in the street and plug it in.

Well, Rick, It was a wireless transmitter and not a dongle.
But in writing the subject line of the email
I was thinking of the exploit where you scatter USB flash drives with infected files around, say, a
corporate parking lot.  Then people pick them up and plug into their work computer and open the pdf called
"Jen's private photos"

Thomas

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 3:47 PM Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:
Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes@gmail.com):

> Not quite plug it in but a day or so ago I found a little device on
> the sidewalk.  A 2x2x3/4 in plastic box with an LED and text: REMOTE
> SENSOR 433 MHz Wireless.

And _you can trust_ random electronic devices you find on the sidewalk
to be what the labeling claims them to be -- except when you should not
trust them at all.  Which is, actually, pretty much all the time.  ;->

Web search for 'evil maid attack' for reasons why you should probably
think once, think twice, think three times before plugging unknown USB
device into any computer you care about.  Or start here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_maid_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juice_jacking#Mitigation
Basically, the big problem with USB is that, by design, it's something
of a Wild West where devices can and do lie about what they are and what
they're about to do.  And it's difficult to prevent that, though there
are some partial add-on solutions, e.g.:
http://syncstop.com/
https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-3rd-Gen-Data-Blocker/dp/B00QRRZ2QM

Nonetheless, have fun with the nifty dongle!