Re: Crash the party (was: Re: Berkeley Pi: Re: Berkeley Raspberry Pi meeting March 1st -- Jam Time!)

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> Crash the party(?)

The question mark is merited, IMO, as the underlying thinking lacks...
thinking.  (You'll note that, upthread, I put 'crashed' in scare quotes
for that very reason.)

> And, Microsoft folks "crashing" Linux events?  I think that's really mostly
> just a non-issue.  In all my years going to many [L]UG meetings, among the
> Linux(/Unix/Ubuntu/...) meetings, I'm pretty sure only and exactly once
> did some Microsoft employee come (at least that I was ever aware of).
> It was no big deal, I don't recall the reason(s) they were particularly
> interested to come, but they did.

Over here at CABAL, we had a lovely summer-time afternoon and evening
with barbecue, and a fellow who identified himself as a Microsoft
employee attended:  I smiled and welcomed him to my house.  And things
went well until Christian Einfeldt started giving the visiting
Microsoftie a hard time with leading questions and challenges.  I kept
coming out, several times, to demand that Einfeldt cool it, making clear
I was _mightily_ displeased with his injuring the hospitality of my
household, but this was necessarily a reactive response, and Einfeldt
basically succeeded in fscking up my ability to be a gracious host for
the visitor.

It's been several years since then, but I very definitely have not
forgotten.

> So, for practical purposes, I think such "party crashing" is (almost?)
> entirely a non-issue ... at least based upon all I've seen thus far in
> practice.

I think the entire notion is a bit mentally unbalanced, to be frank.
Not to mention a bit pathetic.