Re: Snap to it

Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes@gmail.com):

> Yeah, Rick, that was what I thought.
>
> And you mention Docker ...  I'm curious about that too.  I haven't
> played with it yet.  But Docker makes sense to me as a way to run like
> a VM without the using up the space.

Well, sort of.  Except not.

Docker first arose on cloud clusters (including without limitations
Amazon AWS.  When it was new and shiny, I kept asking the proponents
'Hey, how are you going to protect security, given that you lack the
host/guest isolation that's automatic with real hypervisor software
like KVM / VirtualBox / VMware?'  And the answer was always a close
variant on 'Uh, yeah, security!  It'll be great.  We'll have that nailed
down Real Soon Now.'

I could be wrong, but I don't think they have it nailed down, and don't
think it'll ever be really good in that area.

> But then I see people talk about Docker on the PI and I go "what the hell"

Some people talk about a pair of things and without thinking imagine that
the two of them together must automatically be a good thing, like,
dunno, maybe injections and disinfectants.  ;->