Re: Snap to it

I've been using Manjaro, which almost boils down to using Arch.  I can only provide a tentative answer to your question about keeping AUR up to date: I don't know all the ins and outs.  I use an AUR Helper, if you will, called "Yay".  It is fantastic! A command line tool the runs almost all pacman commands transparently, for the official distro and AUR packages.   I only have learned a few options, the ones that I need to stay sane.   AFAICR, it is possible to get a listing of packages installed from AUR.  If not, Pamac-manager is, I think, installed with pamac, by default on Manjaro.  The GUI  enables me to enable various repositories, including AUR; and whether to check for AUR updates.

AFAICT, yay keeps AUR packages up to date.  For almost all pacman commands/options, yay works as a transparent replacement for pacman.  Unlike pacman (but similar to Yaourt, which it replaces) It does not require to use sudo to run, as a mere mortal, but does ask for a password later on.

I've had few problems, and cannot remember when I've needed to manually update a package from AUR.  Maybe a few.   No more PPDs for me.  Damn!  This distro works so well, I've gotten lazy.

Alan Davis