Re: Virtual meeting is now live!

Tom:

     Jitsi can run in a browser window on a computer.  On a phone or a tablet, you have to have an app.

-- Chris Peeples --

On Friday, May 29, 2020, 09:01:41 AM UTC, tom r lopes <tomrlopes@gmail.com> wrote:

Pretty good meeting.

4 of us.  Me, Michael, Chris and Aaron.

Michael connecting via phone and web, pretty much guaranteeing audio works.
Aaron had some trouble initially but worked.  Chris mentioned using a desktop app.
I had trouble finding the app.  I thought it was the Jitsi desktop (called just "jitsi")
But I didn't notice it was dated from 2017.  Oops.  It uses Java 8.  After figuring out
how to use 8 when java 11 is the default, I found it was the wrong app.
I don't think jitsi meet even existed before 2017.

I found it here:

It only works for 64bit.  It's an "app image"  After download you chmod +x (or in the
gui right click properties, permissions, "allow executing as a program") then you
can click to run it.

Anyways.  We talked a little about ACtransit in the time of covid and speculated
about the after times.  Maybe people will be afraid to take public transit.  And
maybe freeway traffic will be worse.  We'll see.

I mentioned my "build your own router" project.  I am kind of frustrated.  I don't
know much about networking or iptables so I'm making lot of mistakes in the
conf files. Though I have made an access point router with the Pi 4 with the tutorial
from the official site,  Aaron mentioned that OpenWRT has a Pi port.
They also have an x86 port, I think.  So I may try those.

I've also done a little trying to covert a laptop keyboard to USB.  Laptop
keyboard has no electronics in it except maybe the leds (caps lock, etc)
Just the matrix of wires that are closed by the keys.  I figured out the matrix by
hand.  Ah, I won't do that again!  Next time I'll use the micro-controller to
automate it.

That was about it for me.  I disconnected about 1 pm,  everyone else was still on.

See you next time (June 14th)

Thomas