Can't view .bmp Not important but just annoying

In Ubuntu 20.04.

Looking around in /boot and I see coffee.bmp

http://debian.netside.net/coffee.bmp

I like coffee so I double click it but I don't see the image.
I get like a grey and white checkerboard.

If i open it in Gimp I get a Debian coffee cup image.  Also works if
I drop it into Chrome browser.

So I see that in Gnome the image viewer is eog.  But eog is supposed
to support bmp images.

What am I missing?

Thomas