Re: Can't view .bmp Not important but just annoying

Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes@gmail.com):

> In Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> Looking around in /boot and I see coffee.bmp
>
> http://debian.netside.net/coffee.bmp

Some poking around suggests that this is an 8-bit (1-byte) colour
640x480 pixel MS-Windows bitmap file.

I stress this point because 'bmp image' isn't very specific, nor (of
course) is 'bmp'.  I mean, sure the three-letter extension thingie
implies bitmap, but what sort of bitmap -- point being that three-letter
extensions were never even remotely adequate as a signifier of file
typing.  There are also bitmap formats from the X Window System,
(more exotically) Portable Pixmap from the Netpbm Project, and (much
more exotically) Truevision TGA aka TARGA bitmap format, for example.

> I like coffee so I double click it but I don't see the image.
> I get like a grey and white checkerboard.
>
> If i open it in Gimp I get a Debian coffee cup image.  Also works if
> I drop it into Chrome browser.
>
> So I see that in Gnome the image viewer is eog.  But eog is supposed
> to support bmp images.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EyeOfGnome/
(Wow, that's a totally useless page.  Thank you, GNOME Project.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_GNOME
Yep, says it's supposed to support MS-Windows bitmap.

What happens if you open Eye of GNOME, and then try using 'File menu,
Open'?

If Eye of GNOME truly refuses to parse the file, maybe you need a better
graphics-viewing program.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Graphical_image_viewers
https://alternativeto.net/software/eye-of-gnome/?license=opensource&platform=linux