Re: Can't view .bmp Not important but just annoying

Same thing happens in eog with File Open.

The first thing I tried was if it opens in GIMP (it does!)  Then it works also in
Chrome browser.

EOG in gnome on Arch is the same.  So not an Ubuntu issue.

Gwenview from KDE on Arch also displays the file.

Weird.  Coffee.bmp is in the grub folder, I think one of the possible backgrounds to grub.

I'll look through your links for something to replace Eye of Gnome.  And while I'm at it
replace nautilus ;-)

Thomas

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:24 AM 'Rick Moen' via BerkeleyLUG <berkeleylug@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes@gmail.com):

> In Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> Looking around in /boot and I see coffee.bmp
>
> http://debian.netside.net/coffee.bmp

Some poking around suggests that this is an 8-bit (1-byte) colour
640x480 pixel MS-Windows bitmap file.

I stress this point because 'bmp image' isn't very specific, nor (of
course) is 'bmp'.  I mean, sure the three-letter extension thingie
implies bitmap, but what sort of bitmap -- point being that three-letter
extensions were never even remotely adequate as a signifier of file
typing.  There are also bitmap formats from the X Window System,
(more exotically) Portable Pixmap from the Netpbm Project, and (much
more exotically) Truevision TGA aka TARGA bitmap format, for example.

> I like coffee so I double click it but I don't see the image.
> I get like a grey and white checkerboard.
>
> If i open it in Gimp I get a Debian coffee cup image.  Also works if
> I drop it into Chrome browser.
>
> So I see that in Gnome the image viewer is eog.  But eog is supposed
> to support bmp images.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EyeOfGnome/
(Wow, that's a totally useless page.  Thank you, GNOME Project.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_GNOME
Yep, says it's supposed to support MS-Windows bitmap.

What happens if you open Eye of GNOME, and then try using 'File menu,
Open'?

If Eye of GNOME truly refuses to parse the file, maybe you need a better
graphics-viewing program.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Graphical_image_viewers
https://alternativeto.net/software/eye-of-gnome/?license=opensource&platform=linux