berkeleylug.com renewed, expires 2022-01-20T05:05:36Z Re: (forw) [GANDI] berkeleylug.com expires 2021-01-20T05:05:36Z

berkeleylug.com renewed, (now) expires 2022-01-20T05:05:36Z

$ date -Iseconds; TZ=UTC date -Iseconds; whois -h whois.gandi.net berkeleylug.com | fgrep -i expir
2021-01-10T11:08:03-08:00
2021-01-10T19:08:03+00:00
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2021-01-20T05:05:36Z
$ date -Iseconds; TZ=UTC date -Iseconds; whois -h whois.gandi.net berkeleylug.com | fgrep -i expir
2021-01-10T11:12:03-08:00
2021-01-10T19:12:03+00:00
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2022-01-20T05:05:36Z
$ date -Iseconds; TZ=UTC date -Iseconds; whois berkeleylug.com | fgrep -i expir
2021-01-10T11:21:06-08:00
2021-01-10T19:21:06+00:00
   Registry Expiry Date: 2022-01-20T05:05:36Z
NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2022-01-20T05:05:36Z
$

From: "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: (forw) [GANDI] berkeleylug.com expires 2021-01-20T05:05:36Z
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 05:31:20 -0800

Thanks, yup, well aware and tracking and on my calendar and has
been since at least around a year prior to the upcoming
expiration 2021-01-20T05:05:36Z
and shall renew it reasonably ahead of time (likely around 15 to 10 days
before expiration ... unlike, egad, some other somewhat slimy registrars
who's "automatic" renewal actually renews slightly *after* expiration
(egad, GoDaddy ... yuck) - leaving one in a quite precarious position
exceedingly beholden to the mercies of said registrar).

Were it an absurdly critical domain and/or much more sucky registrar,
I'd probably renew it much earlier (like 90+ days before expiration),
but neither of those being the case, I figure >10 days is "safe
enough".  (Much) more important, but not quite/highly critical, I'd
probably do it at >30 days before expiration.  I also figure >10 days
is quite a bit safer than some/many that go for "automatic" renewal
that only kicks in on day of (or egad, very slightly after!) - that'd
make me at least kind'a nervous - though it might "always work", seems
to me doing it that late or down-to-the-wire, too many things might
possibly go wrong - with about zero (or less) margin for error / recovery,
or time to fix things before they might start to go sideways.

So ... likely it'll be done well before the 17th
https://berkeleylug.com/Pi.BerkeleyLUG/
and probably before the 10th
https://berkeleylug.com/meetings/
So, will likely also get update out to the list prior to said
meeting(s).

And, in meantime, continues to well be placed on my calendar:
$ grep -i berkeleylug.com ~/calendar | fgrep -i expir | grep '^2021' | fgrep -i domain
2021-01-20T05:05:36Z berkeleylug.com domain expires 2021-01-20T05:05:36Z
$