Re: BerkeleyLUG Google Groups (list) - backup(s) & ... (possibly) migrate to ...

Quoting goossbears (acohen36@gmail.com):

> Have some mixed feelings specifically about migrating BerkeleyLUG's Google
> Groups-managed mailing-list to a specific mailman-managed mailing-list.
>
> How so?
>
> Pluses/++
> + Moving the mailing-list "more out of Google's control / out from under
> Google's thumb" is likely a Very Good Thing :-) Already know of at least
> one other person physically attending live BerkeleyLUG meetups in the past
> who isn't at all very keen of being under the ever-encroaching aegis of
> Google's data-mining Bandwagon! :-\

As a nuance to this, Auntie Goog has always left it _possible_ to join a
Google Group from a non-GMail subscription address, but the way to do
that is very non-obvious and findable by only the rather determined.
In consequence, even on a mailing list like this one that skews heavily
geekish, I'm pretty sure there are vanishingly few non-GMail
subscribers.  Dunno, are there even any other than me and Michael?

When I join a _typical_ Google Group, I observe over time that I am
literally the only non-GMail contributor.

And that's Auntie Goog in a nutshell:  They act so that they can
honestly claim to support open, commodity standards, and don't
absolutely 100% prevent people from asserting moderate amounts of
computing independence.  It just 'ends up' that doing that is notably
difficult.  (Same thing with trying to use a regular IMAP/SMTP client
mail program with GMail in place of Auntie Goog's proprietary hosted
webmail client that gives them such a wealth of real-time datamining
data:  Technically it's supported.  Sort of?  But you'll tear your hair
out dealing with the obstacles.)

Auntie Goog knows that people are just damned lazy, and they'll gladly
put up with something that sort-of does most of what they want,
especially if it is perceivable as 'free', and will just ignore
limitations, lock-in, etc.

> Of course, the big Million Dollar Question then is When will the COVID-19
> Pandemic subside enough to finally hold live meetups??

Answer:  Saturday, May 8th, 4pm-12m, West Menlo Park.

CABAL is resuming with me hosting a big BBQ for the fellow vaccinated,
and we'll also have the live attendees able to interact to some degree
with remote ones via http://meet.jit.si/CABAL .
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2021-May/011587.html