Re: Keeper of the iso's

From: goossbears <acohen36@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Keeper of the iso's
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 08:58:56 -0700 (PDT)

Note that as of this writing, Michael P still has two DVD-burning SATA
drives available as per his BALUG Wiki's Offered/Wanted: Hardware, etc. at
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:offered_wanted_hardware_etc

Yeah, and also semi-recently, I picked up, at the right price (free - the
"miracle" of the free curb-side giveaway), fair bit more optical
media ... nearly 100 DVD[+-]R[W], and fair number of CD-R[W].
Anyway, haven't yet added 'em to:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:offered_wanted_hardware_etc
but probably will manage to do that soon...ish, as I now have more such
media than I have practical use for - so - time to give some away.
Note also that list has lots of available DVD/CD sleeves - so they could
make for a good pairing.

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/kicking.html and b) Michael P has a
comprehensive list of CDs, DVDs, ISOs, images, etc. at
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:cds_and_images_etc
Well ... I don't know that I'd quite call it a "comprehensive list", but
well, I guess it is ... insofar as what ISOs I do have available.
And yes, I can make 'em all available ... even in bulk if someone wants
to snag copy of the whole set, or a bunch of 'em or whatever.
And, in general, I've also checked and validated the ISOs - and generally
saved all the files needed to (re)validate them if/when someone wants to
check 'em.  So, also, if someone's looking to validate ISOs I happen to
already have, I can generally also make the files to validate them
available.

And ... as far as what ISOs to have handy for folks at LUG meetings and
the like.  Mostly folks want new(er) stuff, and generally the more
popular/trendy stuff - along with some good rock solid dependable ones
that have been around quite a while.  "Of course" what they want, and
what's actually best for them, are not necessarily quite the same thing.

And ... nowadays, I find much less demand for ISOs at LUG meetings and
such - notably because most have relatively high speed Internet fairly
available, and can generally download such themselves, toss it onto
bootable USB flash, and boot from it.  But sometimes someone still
needs/wants the ISO ... on optical, or to be able to copy it to,
e.g. USB flash that can then be booted from.  And, what to have on hand.
Although many often state/suggest, e.g. on lists, wiki/web pages, etc.
that folks should email ahead their requirements and what they need
or are likely to need ... unfortunately most of the time that doesn't
happen.  Most of the time they just show up, and then start talking
about what they want/need ... which makes it harder to prepare and
anticipate.