Scott Fraser on 13 Nov 2008 11:39:58 -0800

Re: next talk after Clojure?

  • From: Scott Fraser <Scott.E.Fraser@gmail.com>
  • To: Philly Lambda <philly-lambda@googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: next talk after Clojure?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:39:46 -0800 (PST)
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :mime-version:received:date:in-reply-to:x-ip:references:user-agent :x-http-useragent:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:reply-to:sender:precedence:x-google-loop :mailing-list:list-id:list-post:list-help:list-unsubscribe :x-beenthere-env:x-beenthere; bh=a0QafXTvMDaOTZPacqPha5C2yg/l/yVmRGrhZ38qSDM=; b=181EIetGKfVb0kG6UKqHrQ24iHWQbA7dYl9nnjHA68vMhE/aJLUC9oBp7aha+5b+44 u1WksB/xDT/Isbv/YDSI3Q4HSHWSF0wd/IQiJaWVdGe9uihsh1pvzbc2BobDFXllv0IL XPKPKBL1NPvb8nG6GB3XSozdQyD+StfqtfiZg=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda+owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

Thanks for pointing that out Steve.

I never quite got why Miguel and friends did Mono, especially
considering at the start of the project they had no support from
Microsoft. Nice to have Mono in the world, but not sure of the long
term value now with the GPL'ing of Java. However I think Microsoft did
submit some of the CLR to a standards body, no?

I personally see the .NET stack to be tainted, and therefore anything
built on top of it potentially crippled by that taint.

The big value I see in .NET and the CLR is the competition it provides
to the rest of the world, and that is always good. At the least it is
good news and relevant to this group that Microsoft is investing in
functional programming. So if they add some VM support for things like
tailcall, that will pressure the Java community to counter, and this
group will win!

-Scott