Kyle R. Burton on 28 Aug 2010 07:15:21 -0700

Re: Clojure Lunch Club

> I agree with Alan, Kyle, you are definitely NOT polluting.

Great to hear, but I see a lack of technical discussion on this list.
It is about general 'fp', has been, is and will continue to be an
exciting source of talks and interesting people.  I see the PHASE
group as a great example of what I'd like to see - a group that
encourages regular discussion and pushing the community to gain
expertise in a specific technology.

I personally want to be able to interact with more Clojure developers
than the one person who I work currently with.  Philly lambda could
have easily just been a part of one of the other groups in the area
(plug, pug, philly.rb, the jug), but the focus would have been
different - I want something focused on and that encourages Clojure.

I've made it into the city a few times for lunch the past few months
and its 3+hrs round trip, so I can't do this very often in the city -
I need to explore working from down there some where, so if someone
has space where 2 devs w/laptops could park themselves after the
meeting I could much more easily do mid-day meetings in the city (and
follow on events in the evenings).

>> Unless other folks here disagree strongly, please keep this type of
>> thing on philly-lambda. We're not so overwhelmed with volume here, and
>> I'd hate to see further fracturing of the community.
>
> Overwhelmed with volume?  I would love that on Philly Lambda, but I don't
> think it's happening right now.

Yes, I don't know the reason for the low technical discussion here,
there just isn't much.  A more focused list is an experiment, if it
turns out to work, I'm sure things will end up back here...I'd still
like to try out my hypothesis :)

> Kyle, thanks for putting this together.  Maybe we need something like
> this for the city since I
> can't make it to lunch in the burbs :)

Aaron, you're really the one who we should all be thanking, you really
made something of the group taking over the reigns early.  You managed
to get me out of a company where I'd been too comfortable for too long
and introduced me to a lot of spectacular people.

I'd love it if there were lots of activity - center city, western,
whatever.  I want more things to be able to attend and choose from.  I
just can't be at the ones in CC as easily as before now that I'm 11
miles west of you guys :(

I want a strong and diverse technical community.  I want to meet
everyone and hear what they're doing, I want to learn from them.  I
think more will happen if I do more myself, so I'm trying it.

Best Regards,

Kyle

--
Twitter: @kyleburton