Michael Glaesemann on 14 Sep 2011 04:28:43 -0700

Re: Announcing Functional Fall: A 6-session functional programming reading circle in the Fall

Thanks, everyone! I've started a Functional Fall: New Hope version for the myYearbook staff, following the same series of papers, but a week behind. We had our first meeting last night and it was a good time.

As we do a lot of work in PHP, I fooled around a bit with a foldr implementation using the closures introduced in PHP 5.3. (There's a built-in [array_reduce](http://php.net/array_reduce), which is similar).

<https://github.com/grzm/functional-fall>

On Sep 12, 2011, at 0:48, Eduard Kram wrote:

> All:
>
> Thanks to Trevor et al. for organizing, and thanks to all for a great discussion during recent event.
>
> It has to be made a fix to one of the meeting 's conclusions that is also recorded in noted ("Also, foldr was mentioned but not foldl, because fold left has
> to go te the end of the array (and thus means recurring to the bottom
> of the possibly infinite list)").
>
> Actually, as the name suggests, the folding by foldr is made from the RIGHT and reason why it is still more useful then foldl is different.
>
> I made a few related notes on my site tisr@wordpress.com
>
> Please, use password ed to access the notes.
>
> I think also that everybody can and should develop clear understanding how foldr works, even if the opposite was suggested. Borrowing a few parenthesis from the LISP really helps ;-)
>
> Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 23:08:31 -0400
> Subject: Re: Announcing Functional Fall: A 6-session functional programming reading circle in the Fall
> From: hblanks@monetate.com
> To: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com
>
> All,
> Thanks to Trevor et al. for organizing, and thanks to all for a great discussion this evening. Notes are up at:
> - http://public.monetate.net.s3.amazonaws.com/engineering-blog/2011-09-07/function_fall_meeting_1_notes.html
>
> in HTML and at:
> - http://public.monetate.net.s3.amazonaws.com/engineering-blog/2011-09-07/function_fall_meeting_1_notes.txt
>
> in plain (aka ReStructured) text.