Ben Ashpole on 17 Apr 2012 13:48:47 -0700

Re: Know lex/yacc, antlr, or the like?

Hi there, pardon the intrusion to your list, but Michael said it'd be OK.

I'm looking for a programmer to write a language interpreter that executes its own output on the fly and perhaps to take over coding of the whole little project. There seem to be some ports of the usual language tools out there, but they look like dead projects.  I'd like to hire someone that has done enough with this kind of stuff before that they'll know exactly what to do for what I need.

The first part of the gig will be to take an informal description of a language that I've defined, formalize it, and implement it in such a way that it can run on my server (Rackspace) in conjunction with some existing PHP code. The PHP code will invoke the interpreter with a string, and the compiled code will invoke invoke various PHP functions in my library.

I've already released a simplified version of the product, see www.consolidatemail.com, though as part of the long term business strategy, I'm aiming for a patent on an advanced version (to be developed under NDA).  That's another reason why I'd like to work with someone with enough background that they can speak with experience on language design: knowledge of prior art will help.

Best,
 Ben