Erin Mulder on Mon Oct 24 17:30:26 2005

[PhillyOnRails] November 2nd Meeting Announcement

  • From: meara@alumni.princeton.edu (Erin Mulder)
  • Subject: [PhillyOnRails] November 2nd Meeting Announcement
  • Date: Mon Oct 24 17:30:26 2005

Join us on Wednesday, November 2nd at 6pm for the first meeting of the
Philly on Rails user group.

  http://www.opentools.org/phillyonrails/

The evening will begin with an intro session for folks who are new to
Ruby and Rails.  If you haven't had a chance to work with Rails yet, you
won't want to miss this presentation!  Even experienced Ruby developers
should enjoy the feature tour.

After a brief food break, we'll resume with a more advanced talk
covering the SwitchTower deployment tool, which makes it simple to
deploy, upgrade and rollback applications across multiple servers with
no downtime.

Please RSVP to me offlist as soon as you can.  I'm trying to plan food
and space, so quick responses will be greatly appreciated, even if only
to say that you can't make it or are still unsure.  Of course, quick YES

Cheers,
Erin

of Java-based and Ruby-based consulting services in the Mid-Atlantic
region.  Right now, Chariot is looking to add a few more expert
developers and architects to its team.  Are you passionate about
software development?  Do you enjoy writing articles, speaking
at conferences and contributing to open source?  Do you want to
work in an environment where you're constantly learning from your
peers?  If so, Chariot may be the perfect place for you.  Email
twr@chariotsolutions.com to learn more.

MEETING DETAILS

When: Wednesday, November 2, 2005 @ 6PM

Where: Fort Washington Holiday Inn
       432 Pennsylvania Ave.
       Fort Washington, PA 19034
       (See linked map at http://www.phillyonrails.org)

Agenda:

6:00 - Intro to Rails for Non-Ruby Programmers

       This 45-minute overview will introduce Ruby
       newcomers to both Ruby and Rails.  We'll start
       with a tour of the best loved Rails features to
       whet your appetite.  Then we'll cover the basics
       of getting Ruby and Rails installed and
       developing your first Rails application.

6:45 - Break for food, chat, announcements

       In this half-hour break, we'll chow down on
       finger sandwiches, get to know each other and
       help newcomers install and run Rails.

7:15 - Simplifying Deployment with SwitchTower

       This 45-minute talk will introduce the SwitchTower
       deployment system which lets you easily deploy,
       upgrade and rollback your applications across
       multiple servers with no downtime.  (Note: This
       topic is more advanced than the intro, but should
       still be helpful and interesting to beginners.)