Flinn Mueller on 26 Jul 2006 22:07:55 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Rails Diatribe

I think a lot of people hold fastCGI against Rails. What is the better solution? I have been using mongrel for about a week. For development it is noticably more speedy than ./script/server. I am interested in using mongrel for deployment on a big app with a dedicated server, but what choice do I have if I deploy to just about anything other than a dedicated server? It's especially bothersome for menial applications like typo (I mean that in the most affectionate way). FastCGI is even worse on shared hosting setups, even the ones that support it (mine at least).

Of course none of this is RoR's fault, but fCGI does hurt its street cred a bit.

--flinn