Thos Styles on 27 Jul 2006 03:21:15 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Rails Diatribe

I am a newbie regarding RoR, but I think that fastCGI is really a "court of the last resort" dispatching
mechanism- flexible enough, but not really intended for anything too Earth-shaking, as web apps go. On the other hand, I haven't seen anything like a mod-ror.dll to link with Apache that would do a better job of it (haven't looked too hard). If such a beast existed, then requests could be parsed
by URL, and filtered on the basis of some constant URI path element string or file extension, eg:

www.foobar.com:3000/yada/yada/../dubya/../blah.rb
                                                  =====       ==
                                                 filter one of these

This might necessitate putting up your own Apache image, as ISP's may take a dim view of trying
to relink theirs, but maybe not. Somebody's got to playing around with developing a module along
these lines, that doesn't involve a trail of blood and feathers. I'd probably go with the path element
approach, rather than the more general file extension detector.

=====
"Backwards understood be only can but, forwards lived be must life."
-- Kierkegaard Soren