Cliff Moon on 22 Aug 2006 17:33:52 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] deploying to a shared host - cry for help

Not so sure about freezing rails, but based on your stack trace I highly doubt that's the problem. It's a little difficult to track this down without something to poke and prod, but I'd suggest you kill off all your dispatch.fcgi processes, make sure they're down with a kill -9, shut down apache, and go over all your configuration with a fine toothed comb. More than likely there's a small mistake somewhere that is causing the problem.

If all your configs look to be in order, try this environment troubleshooting script from
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoSetupApacheWithFastCGIAndRubyBindings:

*
*

*Troubleshooting Suggestions*
Make sure that you delete any ruby session files in your /tmp directory before switching to dispatch.fcgi. If you tested with cgi, there might be some with different permission that what apache (fastcgi) can read and will cause issue.

If you want to see if fastcgi is working with ruby, try pasting the following into test.fcgi (in your rails/public dir). You will need to make sure the file has 755 permissions (chmod 755 test.fcgi).

#!/usr/local/bin/ruby
require 'cgi'
require 'rubygems'
require_gem 'fcgi'

FCGI.each_cgi do |cgi|
   content = ''
   env = []
   cgi.env_table.each do |k,v|
     env << [k,v]
   end
   env.sort!
   env.each do |k,v|
     content << %Q(#{k} => #{v}<br>\n)
   end
   cgi.out{content}
end

That will give you a dump of the environment supplied to ruby and it might just be enough to figure out whats going wrong. Good luck.

Brian Donahue wrote:
Any ideas on how I can fix it? Also - shouldn't it be reading action_controller from vendor/rails if I froze my gems? not /usr/lib... ?

On 8/22/06, * Cliff Moon* <cliff@chariotsolutions.com <mailto:cliff@chariotsolutions.com>> wrote:

    Looks like either apache or fastCGI isn't supplying rails with the
    appropriate environment variables.

    Brian Donahue wrote:
    > Sorry for not including this earlier - here is the stack trace:
    >
    > # Logfile created on Sun Aug 20 12:30:12 EDT 2006 by
    logger.rb/1.5.2.7
    > undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass
    > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-
    > 1.12.5/lib/action_controller/request.rb:18:in `method'
    > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-
    1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:933:in
    > `log_processing'

    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:407:in
    > `process_without_filters'
    > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-
    1.12.5/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:377:in
    > `process_without_session_management_support'

    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/session_management.rb:117:in
    > `process'
    > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/dispatcher.rb:38:in
    `dispatch'
    > dispatch.rb:10
    > undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass

    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/request.rb:18:in

    > `method'

    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:933:in

<mailto:stuff@pigeonmoon.com>

<mailto:aaron@aaronblohowiak.com>
<mailto:aaron@aaronblohowiak.com>>> wrote:

> Did you upload your data in addition to your app?
>
> The error suggests that you are calling nil.downcase
>
> With any debugging the real question is "What
assumption have
> you made that hasn't been fulfilled?"
>
> In this case, i will assume that you meant to call
downcase on
> a string. However, your variable is not a string, it's nil.
>
> Common reasons for this: no records found in an ActiveRecord
> find() statement, empty value in your DB row, et cetera.
>
> Techniques for tracking it down:
>
> use script/console on the server, then go through and
> approximate what should be happening during that request at
> the command line, checking your variable's state as you go
> through.
>
> Alternately, you can put in logger.info() calls which
will log
> in production if it is only happening in prod.
>
> Also, check out breakpointer.
>
> Personally, I prefer the console.
> Aaron Blohowiak
>
> On Aug 22, 2006, at 11:00 AM, Brian Donahue wrote:
>
> OK. I will try to make a long story short. I took on a
> freebie gig for one of my favorite musicians, Eric Bachmann
> (Crooked Fingers, Archers of Loaf, and now a solo
record). I
> wanted to do it in Rails for fun, and because of quick and
> simple content management I could throw together with little
> more than scaffolding. Got it all working locally on my
> machines. Recommended Site5 to them for hosting, got it
> loaded up there. Followed the instructions for
deployment on

http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php?t=4406>

> I continue to get
>

> Bad Request
>
> Your browser sent a request that this server could not
understand.

> The production log tells me
> undefined *method* '*downcase *' for nil:NilClass
>
> I can provide the whole stack trace if anyone's
interested. I
> had been getting some support from Site5, but they seem to
> have stopped responding, even to a newly entered ticket with
> "urgent" status (submitted last night). They seemed to
think
> it had to do with different versions of rails, so I
froze my