Jim Guistwite on 20 Dec 2006 03:27:13 -0000

RE: [PhillyOnRails] Pub Nite!!

Cool but all I can think of is Anthony Michael Hall in The Breakfast Club.

-----Original Message-----
From: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org [mailto:talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org]
On Behalf Of Cassius Rosenthal
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:17 PM
To: talk@phillyonrails.org
Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] Pub Nite!!

Inspired by last night's pub night, (uh oh), I'd like to gage interest
in a public challenge: _Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer
Science_ by Graham, Knuth, and Patashnik.

I'm stuck on the repertoire method on page 15. I propose a group of
like-minded individuals, intent on pillaging this tomb of wisdom
(arcane, obtuse, and sometimes crass), to meet on a regular basis to
assist each other in deciphering the knowledge contained within.

Sort of like a book club, but with computer math, and serious learning
to be done. Or like a Tupperware party, without the Tupperware, but with
a freshly sealed textbook containing math and code and other
non-perishables.

Addison-Wesley sells the book directly for $65:
http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0201558025,00.html
Using the group's coupon code will save you $decent_chunk depending on
which one you use. (I don't want to post a coupon to a public list.)

Anyone else interested?

BTW, I added an Ubuntu how-to link to the PXE bullet of the PubNite page.

Thanks!
-Cassius