Mat Schaffer on 12 Feb 2007 20:16:56 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Sparehand

On Feb 12, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Aaron Blohowiak wrote:

mat, sure it is. They make a bsd install for windows pcs, dont they?

Not familiar with it, unless you mean cygwin. Come to think of it, I wonder if cygwin provides the 'ip' function. The windows route command doesn't appear to have monitoring support. Either way, I have a feeling that the windows implementation will need to make some Windows system calls from ruby, which is doable.

Mark, it looks like inotify is a linux thing. The wikipedia page talks about it being a kernel subsystem even. For changing networks I've found routing table changes (on OS X anyway) to be really valuable. You can identify your network by the gateway, and those changes come down the pike regardless of DHCP or just user settings.

Either way, my plan for the route monitor is to divide it up into two parts. One will watch the output of a command and call provided ruby blocks when it matches user-provided regular expressions. The second will be platform-specific. The OS X monitor would call 'route monitor' and watch for a routing change statement. Other implementations may be the same idea or even just using ruby to make system calls.

Thanks for the input folks,
Mat