Angel Pizarro on 23 May 2007 20:46:23 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] apartments in the city?

My 2¢

Univ City is indeed great and my neighborhood, if you like to stay close to home, that is. There is a movie theater, bowling alley, supermarkets, lots of different places to eat (one of the best BYOB in the city is @ 45th and Larchwood, IMHO) and a plethora of neighborhood bars most of which are all owned by Ethiopians (a typical West Philly/Univ City-ism)

Having said that, if you are a Modest MOuse fanboy (e.g. younger and love good beer and the night out on the town more than once in a while), northern liberties is also a good place to be, but out of the way from most other parts of center city. For instance it takes about 20 minutes from Univ City to get there by car.

If you want in the city the best place would be just south of rittenhouse square, (e.g. 22nd to 18th, Walnut to Kater). as you get nice restaurants, nice bars of all types, quiet residential streets, easy bike rides to the rest of the city, but parking is a problem. Or Bela Vista, just south of south street on the east side of broad (east of the Italian market) has the same pluses and minuses.

Art Museum area (e.g. Fairmount), I think is overpriced for what it is, but (disclaimer) I have never lived there.

The philadelphia weekly (comes out Wednesdays) is historically the best place to look for apt listings.

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/
Good luck!