David Bogus on 4 Sep 2007 14:08:45 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] "Ruby for microcontrollers" a short list...

  • From: "David Bogus" <davidbogus@gmail.com>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] "Ruby for microcontrollers" a short list...
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 10:08:32 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=CuMkvh4WqLbxQixVH0klvAFMRarJl5KmCQMEAHpXsUiOFrxGk6zkLu3usZNvVUdi81IRzn8lY5CR+mQXlJogiUEKwggkJv+6ghmNWAsz7zzcV/wE0xA0gj1kAcEwK8N4douMhqbbz6MKSCOPWIcfG4+ni2hpkRyKZSV+limby0w=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

One of the advantage I'd see with using the ruby dsl is testability.
Others may feel that testing in C is fine but I find that its requires
a significant amount of more boiler plate then in languages with
introspection or reflection.  This boiler plate makes me feel like I
can't do my normal development cycle.

Dave

On 9/4/07, Mark Chadwick <mark.chadwick@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another interesting project:
>
> http://rad.rubyforge.org/
>
> You might want to poke around that code, as it's taking a small Ruby DSL,
> and translating it to C/C++ for the controller.
>
> That said, I'm not sure of the real value of shoehorning Ruby on a
> microcontroller.  C isn't exactly the plague.  If there was ever a "time and
> place" for C code, it seems like it couldn't be too far from this.
> (Should I duck?)
>
> Anyone else screwing around with Arduino boards?
>

> On 9/4/07, GREG NEELEY <greg_w_neely@yahoo.com > wrote:
> > September 3, 2007
> >
> > About all I could find with this fellow:
> >

> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/65582
> >
> > He worked in '03 with various microcontrollers in an
> > industry
> > setting, and used Ruby, as he describes in "high
> > level"
> > at URL above.  He's outlined three straightforward
> > methodologies.
> >
> > His last was precisely what I had in mind, (C-TRAN
> > paradigm, only using Ruby to generate the C) so
> > there's "nothing
> > new under the sun" (Ecclesiastes) :-)
> > -GreginKC

Dave's Definitions: Morning, is after I've slept for more than four
hours. Lunch is the second meal of the day no matter the hour of
consumption. A long drive is one longer then you have last slept.
Ineffable, if you don't understand I couldn't possibly explain it.