Aaron Blohowiak on 6 Sep 2007 03:55:17 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] jruby + hadoop?

  • From: "Aaron Blohowiak" <aaron.blohowiak@gmail.com>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] jruby + hadoop?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:54:57 -0700
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=J44mtkXgDvY+mXdGFFRusScB0cVWmKnVeKVUVGs2r3A=; b=j02v/aX2zXYfpZGtT2V6dRC5y4cI1fJ77bkugaierGeqHQLojRlEpPUJg6rlQu3iSz4Qch84eOLHAqyGOk+UQNBg0FoqDCCP0VD+PtjKavzrmOqhSidoY3EEnWdbhLtRDiAIkBg2RCjIyGVS+1gC2BBqGfPpEcnpTH1r1CiAs3U=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

That's not quite fair, Toby. I agree that Casey was wrong to suggest
that RDBMs' text search hacks are adequate means to handle
unstructured data, but I didn't care for your response. Casey raised a
much larger issue that you did not address. I usually respect your
opinion (if not your demeanor,) but I was disappointed to see you give
in to resorting to straw-man argument instead of continuing (mostly)
reasoned discussion.

Please address what he mentions when he said:
"BerkeleyDBHA does exactly what pgpool/pgcluster/oracle/etc all do -- it
intercepts the sql log and splits up and sends parts out to the nodes
for processing. What does that have to do with 'statefulness'? As far as
I can imagine, there are two possible interpretations of 'stateless
database': either a database that has no knowledge of which agent is
initiating the transaction, or a database that returns the same result
for any transaction at any time. In the former case, every database
would be considered stateless. In the latter case, only a readonly
database is stateless, and all others are stateful, including
BerkeleyDBHA. Either way, judging a database as 'stateful' or
'stateless' seems nonsensical to me. I think the author of the link
above would have done better with the term 'balanced' or 'load balanced'
or 'concurrent'. The comparison between RDBMS and HTTP therefore doesn't
make sense to me in the context of 'statelessness'."

State vs statelessness on the DB level is tricky for me to grasp. Can
you shed some light on the issue?