John Ashmead on 22 Jan 2008 06:09:03 -0800

[PhillyOnRails] [MPSIG] Using Ruby on Rails on the Macintosh to Program the iPhone!

On the first Saturday in February, 2/2/2008, at 10:30 am at Cheyney University in the Duckrey Building room 117, the Philadelphia Macintosh Programming Group (MPSIG) will meet & discuss how to use Ruby on Rails on the Mac to Program the iPhone.

Our speaker, Michael Pigg, will talk on building an iPhone GTD (Getting Things Done Database) Using Ruby on Rails.  As Michael very eloquently put it:

`What is Ruby on Rails? According to the website, "Rails is a full-stack framework for developing database-backed web applications according to the Model-View-Control pattern. From the Ajax in the view, to the request and response in the controller, to the domain model wrapping the database, Rails gives you a pure-Ruby development environment." OS X Leopard now ships with Rails as a standard component of the system, making the power of Rails easily accessible to Mac developers. Instead of the J2EE stack and $60 development environment that I used to build my web-based iPhone GTD app in December, I will demonstrate how to build the same app using Leopard's built-in Rails and other no-cost tools.'

So, it has been even easier to use your Mac as a web development platform. And given that the SDK (Software Development Kit) for the iPhone is coming out in February, this talk couldn't be more timely!  Use Ruby on Rails to make your first million programming the iPhone (not that we would ever appeal to crass material interests in the Macintosh Programming Group!)

I'd like to again thank Chris Heimark for the great talk he gave on "One Time Pads" in our January meeting.  I'm sure that Chris software will be the choice of better spies everywhere.  And very useful for commercial applications as well!

Future talks include:  Rich Morby on using perl to control PDF files and myself on using XML on the Mac.

We meet at 10:30 am first Saturday of each month, and have been doing so for more than five years now!

The space at Cheyney University is great:  we have a large room, internet connections, a projector & screen, the building to ourselves (no competing noise), plenty of parking, & can stay as late as we like, if the discussion runs over.  We start with Q & A at 10:30am, to give people time to get in, and then go usually till about 12:30 plus or minus.

There are directions to Cheyney University on their web page (http://www.cheyney.edu/pages/index.asp?p=142) but these are not as clear as one might like.  I've found the trick for getting better directions.  Bring up Google Maps, then put in as your destination "Cheyney University", nothing else.

Once you get to the campus, the Duckrey building is on University Circle.  This is near the bottom on Cheyney's campus map (http://www.cheyney.edu/pages/flash/map/index.htm?p=429).  For some reason, their map has north to the right, which is a bit confusing

And please check out MPSIG's revised web site.

Any questions, ask me, john.ashmead@ashmeadsoftware.com or Deivy, mlmug@dicas.com.

Cheers,

John Ashmead

John Ashmead