Grant Ammons on 24 Jan 2008 10:31:53 -0800

Re: [PhillyOnRails] ActiveRecord: updating a single attribute

Are we talking about validations on the DB or app side?

If we follow DHH's opinions, validations should occur on the app side, hence rails validations.

model.valid? seems like a good way of enforcing validations on the app side, thus removing the need to pass to db to validate a model.

-Grant

On Jan 24, 2008 11:48 AM, Evan Weaver < evan@cloudbur.st> wrote:
You can't enforce validations if you don't resave every attribute every time.

Evan

On Jan 24, 2008 12:33 PM, Chris Cera <chris@cera.us> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there a way to update just one attribute of a record without
> causing all the attributes to be re-set?  When I use the
> update_attribute() or increment(), since they call save() it
> causes every attribute to get re-set.  I verified this in the
> mysql 'General Query Log'.  Example:
>     item.update_attribute(:normal_views, item.normal_views + 1)
>
> I feel that there must be a more elegant solution than this:
>     sql = 'UPDATE documents SET normal_views = normal_views + 1 WHERE id = ' + item.id.to_s
>     ActiveRecord::Base.connection.update(sql)
>
> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thank you, -Chris
>
> ref: http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html
>
> --
> Christopher D. Cera
> CTO, Hovitate LLC