John Nolan on Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:14:31 -0500 (EST)

Fetching web pages

> Create a Perl script to read a Web page.
>
> Here are my problems:
>
> 	1. My Unix Web hosts don't have LWP installed (I know, move -)
> 	2. Don't want to reinvent the wheel.
>
> 	Though I could install LWP in my cgi directory but installation progam
> bombs without root access.

You might want to try using netcat.  Netcat can be used
for barebones network connections, including fetching a web page.

  http://www.l0pht.com/~weld/netcat/index.html

You will need to use the system command to invoke netcat,
but this is often the simplest way to open a network connection.