Nicolai Rosen on Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:53:20 -0500 (EST)

Perl Ripping Event

I just had what seems to me to be a great idea. It starts off a little
something like this:
In any language there is usually a functional (sometimes barely) but
kludgy way of doing something and a beautifully efficient and elegant way
of doing something. In perl, there is usually more than one of the later
and several dozen of the former. Unfortunately, while this makes perl an
easy language to do generic things in, it also makes perl a hideous bitch
godess to master. It is often not as obvious that there are far simpler
ways of doing things. This leads rather nicely I think into my idea. What
about some sort of event or web site where perl newbies submit code to
actual programs they've written (not little test scripts or book
exercises) and true perl hackers such as yourselves rip it apart and
explain what was done poorly and how to fix it in terms of both specific
algorithms and general style as perl seems to be a lot less
straightforward when it comes to those areas. I think that with perl, good
examples are not enough. Bad examples must be shown as they are all too
common, and poor behavior corrected.
 So what does everybody think? "Dumb idea Nicolai! Shut your trap!" or
could something like that work? It could be a regular event, a one
time thing, or even an ongoing web site of some sort.

-Nicolai Rosen