mjd-perl-pm on Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:38:34 -0500 (EST)

Re: Amazon Boycott, continued

> E.g., they don't carry Conway's OO Perl book that was recommended
> here.
>
> Any other recommendations?

I personally recommend ABEbooks.  I think ABE is the best thing I've
seen appear on the internet in the last twelve months.

ABE has 5700 independent used book dealers around the world send in
their inventory lists, and then they merge the inventory lists and put
a search engine on the web.  You search for what you want, and they
tell you who has it and how much it will cost.  When you decide which
copy you want to buy, they send email to you and to the dealer and
then they get out of the way.

I was really impressed with this.  So many people, in developing a
service like this, would have tried to take a commission on the sale!
They would have developed a system that refused to divulge the dealer
contact information until you paid them a fee.  ABE doesn't do this.
They tell you everything they know up front, and they make their
profit by charging the dealer a monthly fee for the listings.  It
quick, it's convenient, and it's really, really useful.  I've been
able to get copies of books for which I'd formerly spent years
haunting used book stores.  This is how E-commerce is supposed to
work.

They are presently listing two dealers with copies of OO Perl:

1. Conway, Damian OBJECT ORIENTED PERL INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS+GROUP
   TRADE PAPER ISBN: 1884777791. 3 copies. SPECIAL NEW Book #
   02188477779101 US$ 37.50 Click here for more information or to
   purchase this book directly from Powells Books, OR, U.S.A.

2. CONWAY OBJECT ORIENTED PERL PAPERBACK 1999 COPYRIGHT MANNING PUBNS
   CO Book # 1884777791 US$ 25.00 Click here for more information or
   to purchase this book directly from COLLEGE BOOK SERVICE, OH,
   U.S.A.

My guess is that Powell's copies are new, and CBS's copy is used.

        http://www.abebooks.com/
        http://www.abebooks.com/
        http://www.abebooks.com/