Adam Turoff on Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:44:16 -0500 (EST)

Re: Amazon Boycott, continued

mjd wrote:
> > E.g., they don't carry Conway's OO Perl book that was recommended
> > here.
> >
> > Any other recommendations?
>
> I personally recommend ABEbooks.  I think ABE is the best thing I've
> seen appear on the internet in the last twelve months.

Heartily seconded.

I know I'm a fan of the classic literature -- Elements of Programming Style,
Software Tools, The Deadline, etc.

Many of these books are difficult to find, and some of them are being
reprinted, but at the standard tech-book rate (~$30+).

I know of someone special ordered a rather hefty text for $95+tax recently
at a local brick-and-mortar store (who then proceeded to put the book on
the shelf rather than contacting the customer).

I found that same book a few months later for $18 used.  Yes, this was a
comp sci text that wouldn't appear very frequently at Big Jar, Wm. Allen
or the Book Trader.

> This is how E-commerce is supposed to work.

Certainly.

Z.