Walt Mankowski on Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:42:59 -0500 (EST)

Re: Amazon Boycott, continued

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 11:25:37PM -0500, Nicolai Rosen wrote:
> Actually, I'm rather suprised that barnsandnoble runs off of IIS/NT. I
> could see it working for the smaller sites, but for an operation that big
> I wouldn't think it would even be possible. That's why borders & amazon
> use Unix.

iQVC did close to $100 million in sales last year using IIS/NT.  Is
that big enough for ya'?  :-)

Mind you, I'm not going to say it did a great job...  Like most others
stuck on NT, we've discovered the trick is to have enough servers so
you can still keep running when some of them crash.  It's also
important to keep things as simple as possible.  Perl (this is a list
about Perl, after all) still isn't a part of NT, thank God, so even if
you have a bug in a CGI script it's not going to take down the entire
box.

Walt