Robert Spier on Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:56:57 -0500 (EST)

Re: Generate a password

[ergh. .sent my first reply with the wrong From line..  I gotta find a
better way to have emacs do that configuration...]

  AB> I hope you'll be able to help me out here guys.  I need to
  AB> generate a couple of hundred passwords. I don't want them to be
  AB> completely random, because users will not memorize them and will
  AB> end up writing them down. Damn, they are going to write them
  AB> down anyway, aren't they? I'd like them to be
  AB> pronouncable/memorizable.  Like Unix passwd utility does.

We have a utility at work which spits out passwords in this form:

[snip]
 1. RIFLE@weird        2. CHATTEL8zero       3. garbled3MACE
 4. maul7Safe          5. chunk7Who          6. Storied!shy
[snip]

basically <word><punctuation or number><word>, with random choice
capitalization (lower, proper, upper).

It's about 180 lines of well formatted (i.e. whitespace happy) perl
code.

It basically uses /usr/dict/words as its word file.

A lot of the code in our version is specialized to generate passwords
of a certain length. . I you don't need that, you could probably
rewrite this as a one-off in about 10 lines of perl.

We use MD5 hashes to store our passwords, so we're not subject to
crypt's 7 (or is it 8) character limit.

In other applicatiosn where I've needed to generate passwords, I've
used simple hash functions with random numbers to generate wild
looking *@KJdf2 type passwords.  These are hard to rememember
sometimes, but if they're writing them down anyway, it's better than
the word based ones.

Also, your password system may not like the words above, because it
may detect that part of the string is a dictionary word.

-R