Walt Mankowski on Sun, 5 Mar 2000 02:02:43 -0500 (EST)

Re: YAPAS (Yet Another Python Advocacy Story)

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 01:34:58AM -0500, David H. Adler wrote:
> It's linked from the "Software Carpentry" page, but I hadn't really
> looked at it until now...

It's linked from the O'Reilly *home* page right now.

> Indeed.  Not only does he say 'Many other programs are written in a
> variety of illegible dialects within the family of languages called
> "Perl".', which is clearly incomprehensible (is that an oxymoron?
> :-), but he also presents this comment: 'C++ and Perl only make sense
> if you have a particular programming background.  If you did not come
> from the "Unix tradition", many of their conventions and idioms seem
> alien.'
>
> I should make clear that, before coming to Perl, I had last programmed
> in college, in the mid-eighties, in Pascal.  I could not, for the life
> of me, tell you what kind of system we used.  I've been using macs
> other than that since they first came out.  A "Unix" background I did
> not have.  In fact, had I not discovered Perl, I might very well
> *still* not have such a background.

It was a Univac 1100.  I don't have a clue what OS it was running.
All I remember was that it was something slow.  :-)

> I wonder if I should suggest he put that in his pipe and smoke it, or
> if that would be giving it more attention than it deserves... :-/

Sounds like he's prepared...

: Obviously there are many smart people out there preparing to send me
: an email claiming that the complexity "buys" them something
: valuable. I think that the cost is high.

Walt