Walt Mankowski on Fri, 26 May 2000 08:56:52 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Cheesesteaks and pretzels...

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 08:20:03AM -0400, Spyder's Empire wrote:
> Pats in in Italian Market is the ONLY place to have a cheesesteak.
> Period. Everything else is ... well... everything else.

Better?  :-) Sorry, I'm not a big fan of Pat's.  I'm more of Abner's
or Jim's fan myself.

> And as far as "soft" pretzels... there is nothing soft about them. They are
> chewy, hard and different no matter where you get them. That's what makes
> them what they are. Get them from someone on a corner holding up a brown
> bag, or at a corner store.  The best I have ever had, can be found at the
> horrible Pennsauken Mart... preferably on a busy Saturday or Sunday
> afternoon. They are red hot and the best.  Again... if you don't eat them
> within 2 hours... they turn into rocks.

Personally I've always kind of liked the Pennsauken Mart, despite its
flaws.  Where else can one find a velvet Elvis in this day and age?
Or a weeping Jesus?  Or even a weeping velvet Elvis?  (Don't laugh --
a former coworker had a weeping velvet Elvis in his cubicle.  His wife
wouldn't let him keep it in the house anymore.)

The pretzels at the Mart are, of course, awesome.  There's another
great pretzel place in Springfield, Delaware County, on Springfield
Rd. about a mile east of Baltimore Pike.  Sorry, I don't remember the
name.  I may make a trip there when I'm home this weekend.

Freshly-made pretzels like at Pennsauken and the other place last
longer than the garden-variety street corner brand -- 5 or 6 hours at
least.  They also freeze well.

Walt