Spyder's Empire on Fri, 26 May 2000 08:21:59 -0400 (EDT)

Cheesesteaks and pretzels...

Pats in in Italian Market is the ONLY place to have a cheesesteak.
Period. Everything else is ... well... everything else.

And as far as "soft" pretzels... there is nothing soft about them. They are
chewy, hard and different no matter where you get them. That's what makes
them what they are. Get them from someone on a corner holding up a brown
bag, or at a corner store.  The best I have ever had, can be found at the
horrible Pennsauken Mart... preferably on a busy Saturday or Sunday
afternoon. They are red hot and the best.  Again... if you don't eat them
within 2 hours... they turn into rocks.

~§pyder~

----- Original Message -----
From: David H. Adler <dha@panix.com>
To: <phl@lists.pm.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: yapc caravan (was: [Boston.pm] yapc trip) (fwd)

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 09:38:43PM -0400, ziggy@panix.com wrote:
> dha wrote:
> > You think I'm going to be in the vicinity and not get a cheese steak
> > *twice*???  :-)  Feh.  Also, I hear that some in our group heard about
> > the pretzel museum and are rabid to go.
>
> The pretzel museum is closed.  It's an even-numbered year, so it was
> time for them to move again, and I don't quite know if/where they
reopened.

Gah!

> If you want real authentic pretzels, you've pretty much got to go to
> South Philly now.  (I know there must be pretzel bakeries in the
northeast,
> but don't know of any off hand.)
>
> > dha, dreading the logistics...
>
> Stay on I-95 a little while longer, hit Pat's, find Federal St. (south
> of Passyunk at that point, I believe; don't quote me) go down a few blocks
> until you hit ~10th & Federal.  Get a box of 50-100 as "palate cleanser"
> for pittsburgh.  :-)

Hmm... I'll stick with Jim's rather than Pat's if I'm going to be
downtown.  The palate Cleansers sound like a good idea.

And it's not travelling logistics I'm dreading, it's
getting-people-together-and-vaguely-organized logistics.  bleah.

dha

--
David H. Adler - <dha@panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
Goldfish: The wimp-ass knight never comes out of the castle to fight