abigail on Wed, 27 Sep 2000 18:28:57 -0400 (EDT)

Re: next monday

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 09:37:24AM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 09:26:11AM -0400, Rachel King wrote:
> > Is Penang that Malaysian place?  I've been there a couple times and
> > decided I'm not a big fan of Malaysian.  What's that Vietnamese place we
> > went to a while ago?  That was really good.
> >
> > There's a new restaurant that just opened up on Race btwn. 10th and 11th.
> > I forget what it's called, but I could try to remember to take notice when
> > I drive by tomorrow morning.
>
> I thought Penang was great.  I liked the Vietnamese place, too, but I
> thought Penang was better.

I strongly urge anyone *NOT* to go to Penang. Never mind the food.
Here's the story I recently posted in the scary devil monastry about
the Penang restaurant in Chinatown, New York:

> Last week, it was my birthday. So, I went out for dinner, with my
> parents and a good friend. The friend is blind, and has a guide dog. The
> restaurant was Penang, in New York City (Chinatown).
>
> We entered the restaurant, and two waitresses tried to send us away, not
> wanting to allow the dog. I told them they are required by law to accept
> the dog, but they kept trying to work us out. I then raised my voice and
> suggested they call the cops, so the cops can explain the law to them. That
> finally triggered some activity and they fetched the manager, who didn't
> object to the dog. They tried to seat us at a table in an awkward corner,
> but we didn't fall for that trick and claimed a table in the middle.
>
> For obvious reasons, I had to read the menu out load. While I was still
> reading, the waitress comes twice asking whether we're ready to order.
> Having brains that can make deductions from observations obviously isn't
> a requirement to be a waitress. After I'm done reading, we ordered a bunch
> of appetizers and of course main dishes. After they served half of the
> appetizers, they suddenly bring the rice, and some of the main dishes.
> I had it send back, so we could first finish the appetizers.
>
> After the meal, we got a $59 bill. We put $60 on the table, and left the
> restaurant.
>
> And then, the waitress came after us, out on the street. She said the
> bill included only the food, not the tip. I stared at her for a moment
> and said "We had the treathen with the police before you let us in, you
> bring the main course before we had all the appetizers, and you *still*
> expect a tip?". She mumbled, and went back inside.
>
> Lusers.

Now, this wasn't the first time my friend and I had problems getting seated
in a restaurant because of the dog. It happened before in the Penang in
Philly as well, except that we didn't have to threaten with the police.

Unless you are in the company of someone with a guidedog, don't go to Penang.

Abigail