Kyle R . Burton on Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:59:40 -0400 (EDT)

Re: proposal for Monday

>   I just attended a presentation, by lurker Kyle Burton, about his OO Perl
> implementation of an application server he's open-sourced.  It's impressive
> and an earlier incarnation is currently handling very high volume at a
> well-known website.  I think it'd be fun to have him and cohorts show it
> to us, too.
>
>   Anyone interested?  Kyle, got comments?

$self->{'_lurk'} = undef;

Well, this is the outline/overview that I used for last night's
talk/presentation:

  http://jupiter.quarterleaf.com/~kburton/classes/perl/web_devel_pas2/

See the file CLASS -- though what's up there makes very little sense
without me to translate, as that file is basicly just notes for my
use.  It was targeted at internal people, so some of it was a basic
overview of what the web is.

I've been meaning to attend a meeting/dinner, but haven't made the time
to do so.  I guess giving a talk is as good a start as any.

Some freshly gathered stats for the site [vwrsp.com]:

  Oct 13 Fri  91,858
  Oct 13 Fri 116,997
  Oct 16 Fri 116,537
  Oct 17 Fri 111,686

That's mod_perl under Apache on a Sun E450 w/2gb of ram, 3 400mhz sparc CPUs
the load average at peak times floats around in the ballpark of 2.5, right
now (5:00pm) it's at 1.9 -- we have plans for optimization of the code
(mostly refactoring) which should recude the memory footprint and performance,
but haven't started in on it yet.

The numbers above represent dynamic page generations -- we serve all the images
off of a seperate server.  Every html is regurgitated from a perl object
that uses a template (HTML::Embperl) to produce the html, there's dynamic
content on every page in the site.  It uses Oracle to store user sessions,
so every page generation also includes at a minimum one hit to Oracle to
[load or store] the session data.

Would phl.pm be interested in me giving a talk on this?

Kyle