Walt Mankowski on Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:38:13 -0500 (EST)

Re: movies

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 12:19:56PM -0500, mjd-perl-pm@plover.com wrote:
> And I wouldn't mind seeing the 1904 version of The Great Train Robbery
> if you can get it.  Maybe we could have a double feature with that and
> the one that has Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland, which as I recall
> was pretty good.

I just saw The Great Train Robbery a few weeks ago as part of a film
course I'm taking through Penn CGS.  It's definitely available on video,
but it's only 10 minutes long (long for 1903, when most films were only
a minute long) so it would most likely be on a video with other short
old films.

Be warned, though, that it's not all that great by modern standards, or
even compared to silent films of the teens and 20's.  But it is quite
interesting for historical purposes, and hey, it's only 10 minutes long.

Last night's film was The Bride of Frankenstein.  I'd never seen it all
the way through before.  It was great, particularly the photography
which was just amazing.  Next week we're seeing 42nd St.

Any word on whether Phantom of the Opera is showing at Irvine tonight?
I couldn't find any info on the net.  If not, they're showing it on
Turner Classic Movies at 8 pm tonight.

Walt