John Kirk on Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:50:54 -0500 (EST)

Re: Fwd: Win32 Talk

> ----- Forwarded message from owner-phl@lists.pm.org -----
> From: "Sean O'Leary" <soleary@erols.com>
> Subject: Win32 Talk
> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:13
> I have managed to think about the talk a little further, and I think I have a
> better feel for the topics I would like to cover.  I will try to discuss most
> things that matter to Perl hackers on Win32, including the following:
>
> Differences in the Windows platforms and the incestuous Windows family tree
> Packaged distributions vs. compiling Perl itself
> CPAN -  If I build it, will it work?
>  - Setting up a proper build environment
> Everything generates warnings
> Those pesky backslashes - Paths and cross-platform compatibility
> Opportunities for Perl on Win32
>  - Sys Admin
>  - Good code lying around, but tricky interfaces, but a few Perl
>    hackers have made good inroads into these.  (OLE, etc)
> Apache and Internet Information Server
> OLE and Windows Scripting Host
>  - Possibly Perl's place in .NET
> The registry (a little)
> Cool stuff about the NT Command shell to make *NIX hackers happier
> WinNT/98 as development platforms

  One key issue for me w/o win32 and perl is being able to generate a
_stand-alone_ executable for win32 platforms.  To my understanding,
the ActiveState facility for this can only be run in an NT environment
so, if you don't have that available, you can't make such a thing to
be run on any win32 platform.  Under unix, it should be technically
feasible to make whatever binary is necessary, no?  If so, then it's
only a hacking challenge, if no ready-made facility exists.

  Ideally I'd like to be able, in a unix(-like) environment, to create
perl (especially perl-tk) stuff that can run on win95 and win98 as well
as NT (and all their successors, of course) without the target platform
needing to have perl installed.  Currently, I dunno how to do it even
if I have access to a win98 or win95 machine.

  Can you research and cover how to achieve this?