Urb LeJeune on Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:13:10 -0500 (EST)

sigalarm

Hi Kyle,

        Worked like charm. Thanks a million.

Urb

> I have a Perl script accessing headlines from abc. Works great
> but sometimes abc is not responding very nicely. Scripts hangs, not
> all the time, just occasionally on:
>
> $raw_html_page=get "http://abcnews.go.com/";;
>
> Is there a way I can tell this thing to only wait for a reasonable amount of
> time then abandon the attempt to contact the site?

Use a sigalarm?  This is coopted from the perlfunc manpage entry for alarm.

eval {
  local $SIG{ALRM} = sub { die "alarm\n"; };
  alarm 2;
  $raw_html_page=get "http://abcnews.go.com/";;
  alarm 0;
};