one bad brain on Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:33:57 -0500 (EST)

Re: NuSphere

Let me clarify that I have worked in the capacity as a Unix sysadmin before.  I am a *nix purist and do not like running windows.  I run it under vmware mainly as a curiosity and "oh look, windows in a window" type of thing.

That being said I do not see the point in running a commercial repackaging of open source software that I can install myself from source, or in a binary package.  For instance, if you are running Debian or RedHat, installing the binary version of Apache,Perl, and MySQL is VERY easy.  Also in FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD the ports tree is very convenient and easy to use.

If you are on Solaris, or just want to install from source that is easy enough.  Mainly I just don't see any point in using a commercial version, and I don't know if I would trust their modifications.  Really it is just an opinion, but one I know most of my *nix sysadmin friends would adamently agree with.

-hunter.