Adam Turoff on Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:07:52 -0500 (EST)

Fwd: Re: Fwd: Win32 Talk

----- Forwarded message from owner-phl@lists.pm.org -----

From: "Sean O'Leary" <roleary@metalsusa.com>
To: phl@lists.pm.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Win32 Talk
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:20:10 -0500

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, you wrote:

>   Ideally I'd like to be able, in a unix(-like) environment, to create
> perl (especially perl-tk) stuff that can run on win95 and win98 as well
> as NT (and all their successors, of course) without the target platform
> needing to have perl installed.  Currently, I dunno how to do it even
> if I have access to a win98 or win95 machine.
>
>   Can you research and cover how to achieve this?

Great suggestion, and one that I completly overlooked.  I will gather as much
material on this as I can, and see if I can find something that will do it, but
I don't know if that's possible.  (Espcially with the Unix compilation.  I
don't know much about the binary formats for executables, but I don't think the
ELF or a.out exe's will be compatible.  At the very least you would need a
compiler that groks the Win32 binary spec, whatever that may be, and can output
a compatible binary.  I would think, though, that this would require you to
compile it on a native platform, seeing as I don't think such a compiler (or
compiler back-end) has been written.)

ActiveState does have a facility for making exe's out of Perl scrips, but I
don't know how mature, how stable, or how able to compile all of the
Perl universe that is.

So for right now, I have nary an idea of how/if this can be accomplished, but I
will gather as much info as I can and find you some answers.

Thanks for your suggestion, John, and I saw your QTk stuff on CPAN today.
Cool! : )

Thanks,

Sean.

----- End forwarded message -----