mjd-perl-pm on Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:20:59 -0500 (EST)

Re: The Perl Journal

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:58:10 -0500
From: Jon Orwant <orwant@oreilly.com>
To: Mark-Jason Dominus <mjd@plover.com>
Subject: Re: TPJ to close?

EarthWeb hasn't been bought by Internet.com; they simply sold
off a lot of their "content properties" to it.  They still own
TPJ, but have made it clear that they wish this weren't the case.

According to EarthWeb, they shouldn't be turning down advertisers
so much as saying "We're not going to publish it any more, but
someone else might."  I'd love to know which issue Vex thinks
his ad won't run in, because TPJ #20 is in press.  See below.

Dec 26
  EarthWeb lays off 100 people, announces sale of content to internet.com.
  I read about the EarthWeb/internet.com deal online.
  I send mail to EarthWeb saying "Whassup with TPJ?"  No reply.
  I send mail to Internet.com asking "Do you own TPJ now?"  They say "Yes."
Dec 27
  I send mail to the TPJ project manager at EarthWeb asking whassup.
    He replies that he was laid off.
  I send film blues to the printer: TPJ #20 is ready to print.
  EarthWeb tells the printer not to print until they say OK.
  I file for arbitration against EarthWeb, claiming willful neglect of TPJ.
Dec 28
  EarthWeb says "We own TPJ, not internet.com."  I scratch my head.
  I send mail to Internet.com asking "You sure you own TPJ?"  They say "No."
  I explain to EarthWeb that even if they're shutting down the magazine,
    it's cheaper to print TPJ #20 than to pay subscribers back.
Dec 29
  Printer sales guy, eager to print, finds a potential buyer for TPJ:
    Laurin Publishing, which from my perusal of the web site publishes
    only photonics periodicals.  This makes no sense to me.
Dec 30
  nothing
Dec 31
  nothing