Kurt Starsinic on Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:09:44 -0400

Re: oops! (fwd)

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 05:31:45PM -0400, Dave Turner wrote:
> Bill Jonas wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 04:44:05PM -0400, Dave Turner wrote:
> > > I like it, actually.  Mostly, I've just been trained that reply goes to
> > > the list - and it is, in my experience, the most common case.
> >
> > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
> >
> > Just today, I found out about Mutt's ignore_list_reply_to setting, which I
> > immediately set.  God bless America.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
>
> I've read it before, and I disagree strongly.  Briefly:
> Minimal munging assumes that list admins are idiots.
> This feature does add something: convinience - it optimizes for the
> common case.
> It doesn't break things - you have your ignore_list_reply_to, so nothing
> is broken.
> It doesn't actually remove choices.

    You're wrong.  It throws away information.

    It seems very un-American to me that a list admin would mandate what
the `common case' is.

    Gratuitous munging is wrong.  If you don't understand that, you don't
understand the Internet, and you don't understand RFC822.  I'm usually
a polite guy, but this is crap.  If you don't know that munging is wrong,
then you don't know what you're talking about.  Stop opining.

    And you misspelled `convenience'.  :^P

    - Kurt