Dave Turner on Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:38:00 -0400

Re: oops! (fwd)

Kurt Starsinic wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 05:31:45PM -0400, Dave Turner wrote:
> > Bill Jonas wrote:

> > > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
> > >
> > > Just today, I found out about Mutt's ignore_list_reply_to setting, which I
> > > immediately set.  God bless America.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
> >
> > I've read it before, and I disagree strongly.  Briefly:
> > Minimal munging assumes that list admins are idiots.
> > This feature does add something: convinience - it optimizes for the
> > common case.
> > It doesn't break things - you have your ignore_list_reply_to, so nothing
> > is broken.
> > It doesn't actually remove choices.
>
>     You're wrong.  It throws away information.

It can be configured to move that information - and that information
isn't set very often.

>     It seems very un-American to me that a list admin would mandate what
> the `common case' is.

The list admin is merely making it more convinent, not mandating it.

>     Gratuitous munging is wrong.  If you don't understand that, you don't
> understand the Internet, and you don't understand RFC822.  I'm usually
> a polite guy, but this is crap.  If you don't know that munging is wrong,
> then you don't know what you're talking about.  Stop opining.

For some reason, an argument that merely asserts that I don't know what
I'm talking about, and which appeals to a standard which was not
designed for this application, does not convince me.  Of course, this
wouldn't be the first time I've suggested breaking RFC822.

But, if we're going to throw standards around, why doesn't this list
follow RFC 2369?  Then, I would only have my mailer to blame for not
offering a "reply-to-list" command.

--
-Dave Turner                               Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859
My game of Advocacy is different from ordinary games of Advocacy in