Meng Weng Wong on Mon, 27 Aug 2001 01:23:37 -0400

Re: off-topic (sort of): DSL

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:09:17PM -0400, mjd-perl-pm@plover.com wrote:

| > Hey there.  My roommate and I are 99% sure we're getting DSL.  Does
| > anybody have any recommendations on a provider?  Or, is there anybody we
| > should avoid?
|
| Please send your recommendations to me too; I need a new ISP.  I'm
| dumping NetReach.  They're clueless, they can't return phone calls,
| and they play abusive telephone games.  A bunch of complete assholes.

After my DSL fiasco I decided that the fewer cooks the
better, so I went with cablemodem.  True, there are the
shared architecture issues, and during the day when the
neighbourhood pirates decide to get serious the latency can
get pretty bad.

On the plus side, I called on Wednesday and they gave me an
appointment for the following Monday.  The guy turned up at
9:15am, and was out the door by 9:30.  The easiest, fastest,
cleanest broadband install I've ever seen.

It's DHCP, but static DHCP: they give you a string (like
cc534186-a) which you use as the dhcp client identifier, and
I've had the same IP address since day 1.  You want more
IPs, they give you -b and -c and so on.

See you folks after Burning Man!

cheers
meng