Adam Turoff on Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:37:44 -0500

Re: new member plans to come Monday (fwd)

----- Forwarded message -----
To: "Rachel J. King" <rjking@pobox.com>
Cc: phl@lists.pm.org, mjd@plover.com
Subject: Re: new member plans to come Monday
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:21:45 -0500
From: Mark-Jason Dominus <mjd@plover.com>

> Um, some of us who didn't grow up here, have absolutely no idea what the
> heck you guys are all talking about.

But this was national news.

        http://www.cnn.com/US/9606/24/move.vertict/

Excerpts:

     Eleven years after police dropped a bomb on a row house occupied
     by the anti-government group MOVE, a jury has ordered the city of
     Philadelphia and two former city officials to pay $1.5 million to
     a survivor and relatives of two members of the group who died in
     the subsequent fire.

     Police officers arrived at the MOVE home at 6221 Osage Avenue in
     West Philadelphia on the morning of May 13, 1985 to serve arrest
     warrants on four MOVE members, and were met with gunfire,
     authorities said. Police fired back, touching off a 90-minute gun
     battle.

     Later that day, police dropped the bomb on the MOVE row house
     from a state police helicopter. The bomb missed its target -- a
     fortified bunker on the roof -- and started a fire that burned an
     entire city block.

     The fire destroyed 61 row houses, including MOVE's, and left 250
     people homeless. Of the 11 people killed in the fire, five were
     children.

Web search will turn up lots more information.

> Starting with Walt's Santa Claus post.

That I don't know about.  But given the propensity of Philadelphia
sport fans to boo anyone and everyone, I suppose that they must have
booed Santa Claus at one time, if only for a sense of completeness.

I was at a Phillies game in 1994 or 1995 at which Miss Pennsylvania
was booed after singing the national anthem.

----- End forwarded message -----