Adam Turoff on Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:08:27 -0500

Re: January schedule

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:40:10PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> Note that that's a little earlier than we usually meet.  So we could
> meet there between 5 and 7, have a drink and some munchies, then
> either stay there for dinner or go somewhere else in the neighborhood.
> Mark, do you know what kind of food they have, and how expensive they
> are?

Potcheen is the hotel restaurant at the Sheraton.  The food is reasonably
good, and I'm pretty sure you can get the standard hotel bar fare
(burgers, steaks, salad, etc.)  The entrees are decently priced ($10-15
IIRC) and pretty reasonable.  Some of the appetizers are interesting
(I remember an indonesian skewered chicken thingamabob).  (Unfortunately,
I don't think there's anything particularly Irish about the restaurant,
apart, except the obscure name.)

Overall, the restaurant is a pleasing diversion from the upper-end
restaurants on 18th St.  It's an OK place to stop in for a quick bite
and a beer (their beer selection is merely passable), but the really
nice thing about the bar is the outdoor seating on Locust St. in the
summer.

If you don't want to stay at Potcheen for dinner, the Irish Bards isn't
that far away (20th & Walnut), and slightly more expensive (appetizers
around $7, entrees $15-20, IIRC, better guinness and atmosphere).

The Marathon Grill isn't that far away either (19th & Spruce).  It's
an upscale version of what you'd find at 16th & Sansom.  Same menu IIRC.

Is Pietro's still around?  Probably the best value in the area if
you're in the mood for italian/pizza.  Better beer menu than you'd
find at either the Marathon Grill or Potcheen (they used to have
Kwak of all things every so often).

Wistfully yours,

Z.