Walt Mankowski on Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:08:51 -0500

Re: January schedule

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 12:06:40PM -0500, Adam Turoff wrote:
> Potcheen is the hotel restaurant at the Sheraton.  The food is reasonably
> good, and I'm pretty sure you can get the standard hotel bar fare
> (burgers, steaks, salad, etc.)  The entrees are decently priced ($10-15
> IIRC) and pretty reasonable.  Some of the appetizers are interesting
> (I remember an indonesian skewered chicken thingamabob).  (Unfortunately,
> I don't think there's anything particularly Irish about the restaurant,
> apart, except the obscure name.)
>
> Overall, the restaurant is a pleasing diversion from the upper-end
> restaurants on 18th St.  It's an OK place to stop in for a quick bite
> and a beer (their beer selection is merely passable), but the really
> nice thing about the bar is the outdoor seating on Locust St. in the
> summer.

Thanks for the review.  I'd have never guess that "potcheen" was
Irish.

> If you don't want to stay at Potcheen for dinner, the Irish Bards isn't
> that far away (20th & Walnut), and slightly more expensive (appetizers
> around $7, entrees $15-20, IIRC, better guinness and atmosphere).

The Black Sheep is also nearby, although I forget the exact address.

> The Marathon Grill isn't that far away either (19th & Spruce).  It's
> an upscale version of what you'd find at 16th & Sansom.  Same menu IIRC.

I haven't been to that one for a while.  Could they accommodate all of
us?

> Is Pietro's still around?  Probably the best value in the area if
> you're in the mood for italian/pizza.  Better beer menu than you'd
> find at either the Marathon Grill or Potcheen (they used to have
> Kwak of all things every so often).

Pietro's is still around, and still has an interesting beer selection.
We went to another pizza place around the corner once (Lombardo's?).
The pizza's just a good, and while they don't have a liquor license,
they more than make up for it with their homemade cannolis.