Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:40:57 -0400

[kcanakis@grasp.cis.upenn.edu: GRASP Seminar: Friday 7/25 @ 11AM in 307 Levine]

For you unemployed guys out there, this talk mentions perl and
(typically, non-summer anyway) includes lunch (pizza afterwards).  And
it's got battling robots.

-Jeff

----- Forwarded message from Katerina Canakis <kcanakis@grasp.cis.upenn.edu> -----

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:25:34 -0400
From: Katerina Canakis <kcanakis@grasp.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: GRASP Seminar: Friday 7/25 @ 11AM in 307 Levine
To: graspnow@grasp.cis.upenn.edu, grasplunchers@grasp.cis.upenn.edu

  [34 lines, 218 words, 1416 characters]  Top characters: eotnairs

GRASP SEMINAR

Friday, July 25, 2003 - 11:00am
Location -- Levine Hall, Room 307

Dan Lee
University of Pennsylvania

"Programming Robot Dogs to Play Soccer: Fast Reasoning under Extreme
Uncertainty"

Abstract
^^^^^^^^^
The Penn Robocup Legged-League team (the "UPennalizers") recently came
in second place in international competition in Padua, Italy. The
software for the robots was developed over the course of a few months,
yet was very competitive with other teams that spent many more
person-hours in preparation. I will describe the innovative aspects of
the UPenn software that was developed in consultation with members of
the GRASP lab to do fast vision, localization, team  coordination, and
motions. Much of the resulting code, including the main Perl scripting
engine, innovative kicks, and high-level robot behaviors were developed
by a hardy group of Penn undergraduates over the course of the summer
and the tournament. I will show videos of some of our matches, and
discuss plans for the future.

Breif Bio
^^^^^^^^^
Dan Lee recently arrived at Penn from Bell Labs, the research and
development arm of Lucent Technologies, where he was a researcher for
six years in the Biological Computation and Theoretical Physics
departments. Before that, he studied physics receiving his bachelor's
degree from Harvard  in 1990, and his doctorate in condensed matter
physics from MIT in 1995.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
 Jeff